Ladyfingers From Scratch – Perfect For Tiramisu
Packaged Ladyfingers are pricey, full of preservatives and not always easily available.
Here is a nice step by step recipe for (easy!) Ladyfingers from Scratch. You probably already have the ingredients on-hand and these are just perfect for making Tiramisu.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 Tablespoons + ⅔ cup white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Fit large pastry bag with a plain ½ inch round tube. If you don't have one, just cut off the end of a Ziploc bag.
- Place egg whites in a bowl and beat on high until soft peaks start to form.
- Slowly add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining sugar.
- Whip until thick and very pale in color.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- Fold half the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in flour, and then add the remaining egg whites.
- Transfer mixture to the pastry bag (or Ziploc bag) and pipe strips that look like ladyfingers onto the prepared baking sheet (make them about 6 inches long).
- Bake for 8 minutes.
Slightly adapted from The Cupcake Project.