Crispy roasted potatoes and sunny-side eggs always go together. But coat the potatoes with an emulsion of smoked paprika and cream along with diced onions and garlic? This one-pot dish is really special and not like any potato and egg bake I’ve ever tasted. If you haven’t tried smoked paprika, trust me, it is distinctly different than regular or sweet paprika. Smoked paprika has a deep, woodsy taste whereas regular paprika is incredibly mild and more often used for its color rather than for flavor.
Use a large baking dish, around 11″ to give the potatoes enough room to roast up quickly. Red potatoes are so creamy, they’re the perfect texture here.
The blue cheese and chives added a strong bite to this dish. If you’re not a blue cheese fan, use whatever soft cheese you have on-hand. My husband doesn’t like cheese much, so I didn’t put any on half of it and it was perfectly flavorful. A great meal in itself, but we had ours with sauteed spinach on the side and this was just right. With summer right around the corner, fresh tomatoes would also be nice.
- 1 lb. red potatoes
- ½ medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 3-4 eggs
- ¼ cup blue cheese or any favorite cheese, optional
- Chives for on top
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Cut potatoes in half length wise and then each half lengthwise again. Slice into ½" pieces. Cut onion into chunks.
- In a large baking dish (a pie plate or 11" quiche pan works great), add potatoes and onions. Mince garlic and add to pan along with the heavy cream, paprika, salt, and pepper flakes. Using your hands, toss everything together so the potatoes and onions are coated.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stir and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and create a well in the center. Crack desired number of eggs in the middle and sprinkle cheese over eggs and potatoes. Return to oven and continue to bake until eggs are set, 8-13 minutes, depending on desired firmness of yolk. Just make sure the egg whites have set.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chives on top.
Recipe originally from Naturally Ella, one of my favorite food bloggers.